Do you know someone who is struggling to stay warm in their home?
To stay warmer this winter follow some of the advice below:
- Move furniture away from the radiators to allow heat to circulate.
- Curtains should be thick or lined and closed at dusk to keep heat in.
- Use heating controls to help manage room temperatures and heating times.
- Turning the room thermostat down by 1°C can save 10% off your bill.
- Room temperatures should be set between 18°C and 21°C (64°F and 70°F).
- Remember the room stays warm for 45 minutes after you switch off the heating.
- Setting your hot water tank thermostat to 60°C (140°F) – this should be warm enough.
- Place aluminium foil behind the radiators to reflect heat back into the room.
- Draught proof windows and exterior doors with brush or PVC seals.
- Fit a brush or spring flap to letterboxes and cover keyholes.
- Installing a smart meter could save you money and may provide more accurate bills.